I recently came across a list of the most beautiful words in English. Being a wordsmith, I devoured the list but was disappointed that not many of the words matched my expectation of “beautiful”.
A beautiful word, to my thinking, is one that rolls across my tongue, makes me feel good, and adds a touch of magic to my day.
So, I thought I’d start my own list of the most beautiful words for women! I invite your participation… simply comment with your favourite word, why you think it’s beautiful, how it makes you feel and perhaps an associated memory…
Beautiful Words For Women
– a Group Project by Anita Revel
I’ll start with a couple of my favourite words.
Voluptuous. Adjective. Definition: sensuously pleasing or delightful. I like it because its syllables imply the shape of a voluptuous, curvy woman. It promises sensual pleasures, not just of the flesh but also in her attitude to living life with fully fledged indulgence.
Luminous! Adjective: full of, or shedding light. This word makes me want to “up” my shine factor – to radiate more warmth and magnetism.
* wonderful * magnificent * superb * grand * coolio * splendid * groovy * astonishing * stylish * fabulous * chic * clever * tremendous * lovable * loving * remarkable * glorious *
I posted this invitation on my old blog, and got the following responses.
- Anonymous said… Sensual, or possibly sensuous.
- Amy Clarke said… Inspiration; stimulation or arousal of the mind, feelings, etc, to special or unusual activity or creativity. Whenever I hear this word I sit up straighter and feel more animated/energetic :o)
- Dyane said… Effervescent: –adjective. 1. effervescing; bubbling. 2. vivacious; gay; lively; sparkling.
- Laura said… Vibrant – it’s about life, colours that pop with energy and good cheer. Vibrant to me is the essential element of life, the spark. Women are all about life: giving life, nurturing life and keeping love and family going generation after generation. We need vibrancy to do all that.
- Angel said… Scrumptious!
- Michelle said… Embraceable; Radiant; Vivacious; Saucy (here in the U.S., anyway) urban def: sassy, sexy; Spicy; Delectable adj: extremely beautiful.
- Sarah said… Strong, adjective: 1. having, showing, or able to exert great bodily or muscular power; physically vigorous or robust: a strong boy. 2. accompanied or delivered by great physical, mechanical, etc., power or force: a strong handshake; With one strong blow the machine stamped out a fender. 3. mentally powerful or vigorous: He may be old, but his mind is still strong. 4. especially able, competent, or powerful in a specific field or respect: She’s very strong in mathematics. He’s weak at bat, but he’s a strong fielder. 5. of great moral power, firmness, or courage: strong under temptation. This word encompasses a lot and i’ve been defined in all ways possible. Women are strong creatures and this word makes me feel beautiful and majestic – Like a lioness! =D
- Shannon said… Succulent… as in juicy, enticing, delicious and worth waiting for!
- Anonymous said… what about “Soignee” meaning elegantly made.
OK that’s 35 words so far… Can you think of any more? We’d love to hear from you… who knows, one day your words may appear as part of an art challenge I’m dreaming up!
Beautiful words (and pictures)