Mayan moon goddess Ix Chel is the mystery and joy of our female sexuality, mother of earth and all life, patroness of the healing arts, weaving, childbirth, and destiny.
- Mantra: I am woman
- Gemstones: Carnelian, coral, agate, brown jaspar (orange stones)
- Essential Oils: Goddess-ence ISHTAR* 100% pure essential oil blend for the sacral chakra, and for unleashing the wild diva within
- Today I am a hugging and kissing machine. (From Affirmation Goddess, Express Your Way to Happiness by Anita Revel.)
- I choose joy
- My shape is sexy!
- I am healthy and happy
- The moon is my mother and muse
- I relish my curves / straight-up-and-down-ness / pear-shape / womanliness
- I have abundant energy and vitality
Ix Chel, Mayan moon goddess, sometimes called “Lady Rainbow”, is often pictured as a serpent crone wearing a skirt and crossbones.
She carries an upside-down vessel in her hands which represents the nourishing gift of water, our most essential life giving element. She wears a serpent on her head representing her transformation from the winter to spring energy – shedding her winter skin in order to blossom anew into spring to a new and fresh stage in the life cycle.
Ix Chel is a shape-shifter, consorting with the rabbit in spring (fertility and life giving abundance). She is at once a maiden (goddess of fertility and life, protector of women in childbirth), and a crone – the serpent reflects her status as a wise woman dispensing healing visions.
She is the keeper of the life cycle, goddess of all new life and keeper of the bones and souls of the dead.
Her Modern Energy
As fertility goddess, her power waxes and wanes with the phases of the moon, mirroring the fertility cycle in the bodies of women. At this time when the refreshing energy of spring coincides with a new moon, invoke Ix Chel’s transformational fertile energy to shake off the winter slumber and launch into spring.
Imagine being nurtured inside Ix Chel’s life giving womb, or that you are wiping the tears of your own inner child’s pain. Honour the burdens and pain, then release them. Prepare to laugh and leap your way into your new phase of joyful celebration that will come with your rebirth.
Reconnect With Your Inner IxChel
Now is the time to celebrate life and love… Here are some ideas how!
- Renew and affirm your sensuality, kindle the fire of romance.
- Make love by the light of a bon fire, the glow of red candles, or just the full moon’s radiance.
- Dance with your love in bare feet connecting to the earth.
- Make a list of three things that you are going to create or manifest between now and the next full moon.
- Let the items on your list be the seeds to help you germinate a new start for the new phase in this life cycle.
What Would IxChel Do?
… If she were in your situation, she would understand that her power waxes and wanes with the phases of the moon. She would celebrate life and love, renew and affirm her sensuality, kindle the fire of romance, make love by the light of a bonfire, dance under the full moon’s radiance, stomp with bare feet connecting her to the earth, and revel in her glorious womanhood.
(Excerpt from What Would Goddess Do? by Anita Revel)