All women go through stages of self-criticism and doubt.
So what is stopping you from seeing yourself as a goddess?
Click here (or on the image) to read the article, take the quiz, and discover the archetype energy strongest within you.
“I have the body of a god,” my friend announced one day. “Yeah, Buddha,” she sulked.
I just laughed and patted her love handles. “No, you have the body of a goddess,” I grinned. “Now dry those wrinkly eyes and be proud of who you are!”
Good advice, but deep down I felt uncomfortable – I wasn’t feeling particularly goddess-like myself at that time. After all, if I believed I had the body of a goddess (per my advice) then I’d be perfectly happy with my red dress that makes my thighs look like bags of chestnuts in jelly.
The strange thing is, I’m not the only one who feels this way. All women go through stages of self-criticism and doubt. It’s true – I can see you nodding!
So what is stopping you from seeing yourself as a goddess?
Maybe it’s because you can’t visualise which goddess is your true role model!
You are probably aware of the energy of the many goddesses that you radiate each hour, day or week. For example, in the mornings, you might be Venus, stretching luxuriously under your silk sheets. By lunchtime you’re the warrior Athena battling the elements to get through your workload. And by evening, you’re Hecate, shape-shifting yourself from an exhausted worker-bee into a smiling (albeit sometimes not very patient) mummy.
But which single goddess underlies your essential self? Who underpins your every conscious and subconscious ethic and choice? What is your expectation of “goddess” when you look for her in the mirror?
Take the following quiz in order to find out which goddess archetype is shaping your existence.
Your boss has just told you to take the afternoon off. How are you going to spend your unexpected “me” time?
- Ignore the chores and spend time doing my favourite hobby
- Strap on my hiking boots for a good power walk in the park
- Create a storm in the kitchen cooking for family and friends
- Pop into my child’s classroom or the community soup kitchen to help out
- Revamp my wardrobe with a good dose of retail therapy
- Meditate to balance my chakras
- Hit the nearest bookstore and spend the afternoon browsing
You are watching a sitcom with friends. Which actor prototype is your hero?
- Mr Intelligent – I can talk to him about anything
- Mr Independent – he respects me and my space
- Mr “With-It” – he sees the big picture and is above trivial matters
- Mr Can’t-Do-Enough-For-Others
- Mr Passionate – phwoaaaah, I want those arms around me NOW!
- Mr Self-Confident – there’s no insecurity in the way he loves me for who I am
- Mr Mature and Successful – most likely the CEO and filthy rich
In a reincarnation, you’d like to come back as a:
- Playful dolphin
- Powerful horse
- Wise spider
- Loyal and loving dog
- Sensual tiger
- High-flying eagle
- Resourceful lioness
When you were a little girl, you most wanted to be a:
- A secretary, receptionist, or leader of a small sales team
- Travel writer or guide
- Working for Volunteers Abroad, Green Peace or the United Nations
- Nurse, psychologist or social worker
- Designer, actor, performer or artist
- Natural healer, aromatherapist or reiki practitioner
- The CEO of a corporation or the Prime Minister of Australia
You and your partner decide to take the plunge and get married. Which colour gemstone best represents your commitment to this relationship?
- Yellow – eg Amber, Tiger Eye, Yellow Jade
- Red – eg Garnet, Tourmaline, Smoky Quartz
- Indigo – eg Moonstone, Lapis Lazuli, Dark Aquamarine
- Pink – eg Rose Quartz, Pink Tourmaline
- Orange – eg Carnelian, Coral, Agate, Brown Jaspar
- Iridescent – eg Opal, Amethyst, Moss Agate, Chalcedony
- Light blue – eg Lapis Lazuli, Aquamarine, Turquoise
What sort of ceremony do you decide on?
- At home in my own garden and with little fuss
- Barefoot in the country where the earth is lush
- A spiritual ceremony in an ancient temple surrounded by like-minded people
- An intimate service for close family and friends
- A no-holds-barred deluxe extravaganza followed by a decadent honeymoon
- Somewhere with calm and peaceful energy – nothing else matters
- Surrounded by paparazzi and important guests in the grand lobby of an iconic building in a fast-paced city
Your tv goes on the blink. What would you prefer to do next?
- I don’t watch tv anyway – I’m happy doing my own thing
- Invite a group of friends over for a bonding session
- Light candles and snuggle up with my soul-mate
- Run next door to see if my elderly neighbour is ok – her tv might be broken too
- Get dressed up and go swanning at cocktail bars
- Invent a new and improved yoga routine
- Phone a friend and talk about current events, politics or work
The next day, your tv is still on the blink, and your partner gives you a suggestive nudge. What kind of love-making are you in the mood for?
- Playful give and take for ultimate mutual pleasure
- Lots of foreplay from him to get me into the mood
- Hours of touching and eye-contact to promote a soul-connection
- Whatever he wants to do
- Boisterous and playful sex with edible body paint
- I’m looking for a tantric, powerful, transforming experience
- I haven’t got time – there is too much going on at work
It’s 18 years later, and you have a daughter who has started dating seriously. What is your advice about relationships?
- Men should be treated as a woman’s equal, but don’t let them steal your power
- A healthy relationship is balanced between independence and inter-dependence
- Make sure you’re best friends – friendship is the key to a long-lasting relationship
- The main purpose of marriage is to produce children – to be a mother is the highest calling
- The more passion in the relationship, the better
- Trust the Universe to provide a spiritual partnership with a deep connection
- There’s no need to get married – just enjoy the relationship for as long as it suits
When you looked in the mirror this morning, you thought:
- I like my body just the way it is, although I could do with a little more exercise
- If anyone has a problem with my body, I’ll tear their heads off!
- Those aren’t wrinkles – they’re laugh lines and tell the story of my life
- Look at my beautiful round belly and soft curves
- Purrrrr! I feel super-charged and sexy
- My body is the manifestation of my calm and centred self
- Who’s got time to look in the mirror?
Tally up all your “1/a” answers, “2/b” answers and so on. The highest scoring letter represents the goddess whose energy has the most influence on your life. She is your archetypal goddess. If you have a letter that didn’t score at all, this implies you need to do some work to increase that goddess’ qualities in yourself to restore some balance.
Mostly A answers: Persephone
Vital and intelligent Persephone, erstwhile professional victim, was the innocent girl that was kidnapped to the underworld by Hades. You are self-confident, playful and comfortable in your skin, but can sometimes be led astray in the belief that other people have your best interests at heart. Fortunately, your well-honed gut instinct kicks in to tell you when things are wrong. You must listen to the message from your intuition, and withdraw from destructive situations to concentrate on your own growth and self-development.
Mostly B answers: Kali
According to ancient Hindu tradition, Kali is the blood-thirsty instigator of destruction. Her energy facilitates the strengthening of survival instincts and enables you to find your true path in life. Kali gals have unwavering judgement, strong willpower, and are driven by physical rather than mental energy. Your feet are firmly on the ground, and you feel complete regardless whether there’s a man in your life or not. This is great, but you veer off-course when faced with forces that threaten your stability. Invoke Kali to help purge the elements of destruction in your life and reclaim your independent spirit, (but invoke her in conjunction with Kwan Yin so you don’t over-balance and feel compelled to rip people’s head off!).
Mostly C answers: Isis
Isis, the Egyptian High Priestess ruling with love and calm patience, fosters inner wisdom and psychic power. Generally you are highly tuned into your own intuition and self-confidence, but at times you experience self-doubt and allow others to make you feel defensive or unsure about the path you are taking. Don’t let this deter you from your dreams – you have a gift of being able to “see the big picture”, and gain security from surrounding yourself with friends and family who share your unconditional love. Gather strength, and trust that your intuition is leading you in the right direction.
Mostly D answers: Kwan Yin
Kwan Yin is the Chinese goddess of love and compassion. As a Kwan Yin girl, your values focus on co-operation, sharing, balance, harmony and partnership. However, you may find it difficult to maintain the love if you have issues with self-acceptance – this only prevents you from connecting with others. A lack of self-acceptance sometimes manifests in the endless pursuit to care for others’ needs, often putting them before your own. Remember that your needs are just as important as others’, and give yourself permission to receive (as well as give) unconditional love, joy and compassionate energy.
Mostly E answers: Ishtar
Babylonian goddess Ishtar inspires lovers everywhere to connect with the feminine divine. Descended from Venus, Ishtar’s energy encompasses all that is “woman” – nurturing mother, inspired companion, playful bed partner, wise advisor, insightful leader. In your quest for perfection you are prone to self-criticism, forgetting the aura you exude is the aura you attract. Subsequently, in the prospect of romantic love, you relax your boundaries so your essential self is open to compromise. To avoid feeling lonely and depleted when the relationship inevitably ends, take time to ground yourself (invoke Kali for this), and focus on remaining centred in the face of the next flirtatious adventure.
Mostly F answers: Nuit
Egyptian goddess Nuit gives you a sense of oneness with all, and is the source of your clarity, understanding and spiritual connection. Your amazing gift of self-knowledge and pure awareness moves you to place importance on inner calm and close connection with others, but it can also act as a barrier if you are always in a world beyond – that timeless, spaceless place of all-knowing. Because you deal with conflict with empathy rather than with defence mechanisms, you are often a target for victims in need of rescue. Next time you are in this situation, invoke Kali to come back to earth to deal with victims honestly.
Mostly G answers: Athena
Greek goddess Athena empowers you to overcome fears, giving you the freedom to explore your independent, clever and resourceful side. This in turn fuels your ambition, making you hungry for success in your career or chosen project. The warrior woman within does not think with her heart so much as her head, having decided there is no room for emotions, intimacy and vulnerability in the boardroom. To awaken your feminine divine, invoke Ishtar in a safe space – at home, or while on holidays and away from your familiar power-inspired surrounds. Take it easy though, and remember to maintain a balance in your approach – mind and body, male and female, yin and yang, intelligence and imagination.